- Trial Phase: Current Works
- Operation of the mine
- Emergency Preparedness
- Radiation Protection
- Environmental monitoring
- Control and surveillance
- Decommissioning Concept
- Decommissioning Planning
- Plan-approval procedure
The prime aim in the decommissioning of the Asse II mine is the long-term safety of man and environment. According to the present state of knowledge, this can only be achieved by retrieving the waste from the Asse mine. Since 2013, it has also been a legal mandate to retrieve the radioactive wastes.
The route to retrieval consists of different partial projects. These include in particular
- the fact-finding to determine planning data for retrieval,
- planning and building a conditioning plant and an interim storage facility,
- planning and constructing an additional shaft (shaft 5) via which the wastes will be transported to the surface,
- planning of retrieval: technical and organisational overall concept for the recovery of the radioactive wastes from the emplacement chambers.